Beth Tzedec Memorial Park
Position Description -- Cemetery Superintendent
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Superintendent works in tandem with the Cemetery Administrator. The Superintendent works with the Cemetery Committee.
The Superintendent is responsible for the day to day security, safety, maintenance and operations of the cemetery grounds, buildings and equipment.
The Superintendent is responsible for maintaining on-site cemetery records, ensures the grounds and grounds maintenance equipment are properly cared for, and provides guidance to parties interested in purchasing of Interment Rights and any other Cemetery services.
The Superintendent may hire and provide supervision to outside contractors, full time and seasonal staff and other part time employees who may be required to perform the services necessary to operate, maintain and manage the cemetery grounds.
The Superintendent must enforce all cemetery By-Laws, Policies, rules and regulations and report all serious occurrences to the appropriate persons.
The Superintendent is required to report annually on the Cemetery operations and attend Cemetery Committee meetings.
The Superintendent prepares reports and provides comments and recommendations for budgets, service fees, and future development and industry trends.
The Superintendent must at all times deal in a polite, professional manner with visitors, lot holders, funeral directors, monument dealers, contractors etc.
The Superintendent will not negotiate on behalf of the Cemetery without written consent of the Executive Director or Cemetery Committee Chair.
Under NO circumstances is the Superintendent permitted to act as an agent for anyone other than the Cemetery unless permission has been given IN WRITING by the appropriate Congregation authority.
The Superintendent shall not recommend any business or individual to provide services or supplies related to the cemetery (i.e., Funeral director or Monument dealer).
· To ensure that the cemetery grounds are open at the appropriate times and to ensure proper protocols are in place for the safety of staff and visitors.
· To ensure that dignity and decorum are maintained.
· To properly maintain all buildings and equipment on the grounds.
· To update and maintain cemetery records, files and maps as required.
· To ensure that all interments are carried out correctly and performed in a safe, dignified manner.
· To see that foundations, markers memorial etc. are installed in the proper locations and to the proper specifications.
· To closely supervise any contractors working on the grounds.
· To purchase any materials pursuant to approval of proper authority, (Cemetery Committee, Executive Director) and under their guidelines and budget considerations.
· To staff the cemetery, record employee payroll information, provide training and record information for operation coting purposes.
· To be available during regular business hours to meet with Plot Holders and assist them with any inquiries concerning the cemetery or individual plots/lots, planting etc.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
To successfully carry out the responsibilities the superintendent is required to possess or obtain:
1. Knowledge of the organization, Jewish Traditions and Practices, and functions of the cemetery.
2. Good grooming habits and appropriate dress for duties.
3. Knowledge of the Health and Safety requirements and record keeping and enforce appropriate precautions connected with maintenance of equipment and grounds.
4. Knowledge of current practices, procedures, and equipment involved in cemetery operations, construction and maintenance.
5. Knowledge of Federal, Ontario, and Municipal legislation, regulations, codes and laws.
6. Knowledge of grounds maintenance practices, procedures, supplies and equipment.
7. Knowledge and aptitude for the care and repair of the grounds maintenance equipment.
8. Working knowledge of procedures involved in costing and budget preparation.
9. Ability to plan and supervise the work of others; ability to maintain complex records and files.
10. Ability to comprehend and carry out complex oral and written directions.
11. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
12. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, outside agencies and the general public.
13. Ability to use tact, patience, empathy and courtesy to effectively deal with families at a time of need.
14. Computers proficiency to be able to use the MSOffice suite as well as calendar, e-mail and the cemetery database software.
15. Ability to read, write, understand and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the essential functions of the position.
16. Safe work habits, Good judgment.
17. Physical condition commensurate with the duties of the position.
18. Willingness to be available to perform tasks, meet with families, attend meetings, etc. outside of ‘regular’ work hours. Must be able to work Sundays and Statutory Holidays.
· Grade 12 or equivalent diploma, read and write English fluently.
· Proven track record in senior cemetery operational or management position
· Sufficient “outside” cemetery experience including the care of bedding plants, turf and woody plants
· Valid Ontario Drivers licence and a clean driving abstract.
· A minimum of 2 rental housing references.
· Current first aid and safety training certificate.
· Must be able/willing to work Sundays and statutory holidays.
· Neat appearance, mature, good work habits, organizational, communication skills, self motivated.
· A working knowledge of equipment used in cemetery operations.
· Horticultural background.
· Working knowledge of Jewish traditions and interment practices.
· Mechanical, “handyman” abilities, (plumbing, welding, electrical etc.)
· Construction experience.
· Recognised equipment operation and safety training, i.e. chainsaws, fork lift, excavation equipment.
To apply for this position or for further information, please email your CV and contact information to:
5822 BATHURST ST