Job Number: 2018-1662
| Toronto, Ontario
| Posted on Dec 18, 2018
The Horticultural Technician is responsible for the daily maintenance of the Law Society’s lawns, trees, shrubs and flowers within the interior and exterior of Law Society facilities, the removal of snow in all areas not covered by contract services, and providing assistance, as required, for room set?up or take?down activities. In addition, the Horticultural Technician holds planning and administrative responsibilities to assist the department in the delivery of integrated gardening services, including seasonal display coordination.
- 2 or 3-year college program in horticulture or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years previous experience working in a similar large garden with a variety of duties, functioning under general supervision, with important planning responsibilities.
- Solid knowledge of gardening techniques and trends.
- Skills related to operating gardening equipment.
- Knowledge of WHMIS standards and requirements.
- Familiarity with various software applications, including word processing, spreadsheets, e?mail, and the Internet / Intranet.
- Speaks and writes in a clear, articulate manner for individual and/or group situations.
Client / Customer Service Planning
- Completes coordination and administrative duties, including drafting RFPs for garden planning and maintenance, evaluating plans and recommending suppliers, keeping daily logs, monitoring service contracts, and designing planting plans for spring bulbs, perennials and annuals, and providing recommendations and care for all interior plants for which the department is responsible.
Client / Customer Service Delivery
- Conducts regular lawn maintenance, including litter collection, seeding in spring, watering, cutting, raking excess clippings, leaf collection, raking and disposal of leaves, string?trimming, and cleaning equipment.
- Plants flowers and bulbs, including removal of bulbs in the spring, preparing beds, storing bulbs over the summer, planting annuals, fertilizing, weeding and edging beds throughout the season, watering, removing annuals in the fall, composting, and planning for the following year’s display.
- Evaluates and arranges for regular shrub and tree maintenance, including pruning, fertilizing, watering, inspecting for disease and pests, making treatment recommendations, and when possible providing treatment.
- Removes snow, including machinery operation, hand shoveling, ice chopping, spreading ice melter, and putting up caution signs for falling ice.
- Cares for a large number of indoor plants throughout the building on a regular basis.
- Coordinates seasonal displays and decorating throughout the building.
- Contributes to the efficiency of gardening services in a team environment, assisting other team members when required.
- May assist in moving furniture, boxes, setting up seminar rooms and dining room for functions, as required.
- Contributes expenditure forecasts for the departmental budget, submits requests for purchase orders and supplies, and sources suppliers and service providers.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES INCLUDE:
The requirement to maintain a high standard of commitment, ethics, respect, care in service delivery to clients (internal and/or external).
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
The requirement to structure and deliver effective verbal and written communication with clients, staff, licensees, the public, and others in a non-threatening and constructive way.
The requirement to share responsibility for the achievement of team goals and the associated behaviours required for individuals to contribute effectively in a team environment.
The requirement to demonstrate an attitude that consistently strives to improve a standard of excellence for one’s self and for the benefit of the organization, its licensees and stakeholders.
Problem Solving and Judgement
The requirement to identify and analyze problems, determine root causes, evaluate alternative solutions and take and/or recommend appropriate solutions.
Technical Competence / Professional Knowledge
The requirement to apply knowledge and skills to carry out the work and/or provide advice. This also includes the quality of advice given, as well as the requirement to make decisions in the best interests of the organization as a whole.
For further information, or to apply for this position, please visit the Current Opportunities page of the Law Society’s website at www.lso.on.ca.
The Law Society of Ontario is an equal opportunity employer striving to reflect the population of Ontario. We welcome applications from persons representing the diversity of our profession and community. We appreciate all interest and will directly contact candidates under consideration.
Proud to be one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers
Law Society of Ontario
Jan 14, 2019