Job Number: 75-2020
| Ajax, Ontario
| Posted on Sep 25, 2020
Reporting to the Supervisor of Sportsfields and Parks Maintenance, the Sportsfield Technician, is responsible to deliver a wide range of technical services relating to the maintenance of municipal sportsfields (baseball, soccer, cricket). Provides high quality turf care for all programmed sportsfields within Town parks and oversee the daily work activities of fulltime employees and part time seasonal staff assigned by the Supervisor of Sportsfields and Parks Maintenance.
Job Duties Include:
- Works with Supervisor to establish annual work plans and levels of service relating to the daily maintenance of all programmed sportsfields
- Assists to plan, schedule, organize and keep accurate records within the Town’s maintenance management system (CityWorks), ensuring all work activities are captured by asset
- Inspect athletic turf fields daily and identify conditions and treatments to deal with insects, fungus & disease
- Works with supervisor and identifies chemical treatments, mixes and application rates for herbicides/pesticides/fungicides as authorized in the Province of Ontario in accordance with the Ontario Pesticides Act
- Operate sportsfield turf/maintenance equipment including: mowers, over-seeders, tractors, aerators, top-dressers, edge cutters, fertilizer sprayers, drag mats, bunker rakes etc
- Works with the supervisor to operate and manage the Town’s central irrigation system, measuring moisture content within the turf fields and respond to changing climate conditions and forecasts
- Assist the supervisor in the development of annual operating budgets, and take the lead role in initiating the procurement of material, supplies and equipment in accordance with the Town’s purchasing policies
- Assist the supervisor in discussions relating to field conditions and provide assistance in decisions regarding the scheduling, usage and playability of fields
- Works with supervisor to develop an annual training plan and ensure full-time and part-time staff are appropriately trained prior to the operation of any equipment, including the central irrigation system and any applications applied to sportsfields
- Deliver exceptional customer service and maintain a high level of communication when dealing with members of the public, user groups, tournament officials.
- Meet directly with tournament organizers to understand expectations and set-up requirements
- Coordinate the routine inspections of sportsfield infrastructure and identify capital improvement projects to the Manager of Infrastructure and Asset Management
- For the purposes of winter control (November 15th – April 15th ) this position will be placed on Winter Standby and will be required to be available for winter call-out purposes, in accordance with the collective agreement.
- College Diploma in turf management, plant sciences or a related field
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience with the demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities
- Class ‘DZ’ driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract
- Valid Landscape Exterminator license from the MOE and Climate Change
- Proven organization, time management and planning skills
- Self-motivated, positive, confident and approachable
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Respectful of diverse opinions and perspectives;
- Committed to quality customer service and innovation to improve efficiency and reduce costs
- Proven skills in Microsoft office ( Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Proven ability to problem solve, seeking information from diverse sources and recommend innovative solutions
- Ability to makes sound decisions for team and make recommendations and proposes solutions when outcomes are uncertain or could have broader implications to department or stakeholders
- Ability to plan, organize, schedule and assign work to full-time staff and part-time seasonal employees
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to deal with conflict and effectively respond to issues as they arise
Rate of pay:
$34.36 - $36.72 per hour
This is a unionized position that works a 40 hour work week.
Deadline to apply:
Applications are accepted at www.ajax.ca until 11:59 p.m. on October 9, 2020.
The Town of Ajax is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and accessibility within the workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. The Town embraces diversity and gender expression through policy, staff training and providing positive spaces. The Town encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If selected for an interview, please inform Human Resources of any accommodation you may require during the process.
Town of Ajax
Sep 25, 2020