Sipkens Nurseries is a family owned and operated Greenhouse and Garden Centre located in the Sarnia Lambton community since 1989. As one of the fastest growing garden centres in the area, we are noted for providing exceptional quality, customer service and knowledge to our customers.
Our company has an opening for a full time, experienced LANDSCAPE and DESIGN ASSISTANT
The Landscape Design Assistant will be responsible assisting the Landscape Manager with the creation of drawings with specifications and detailed descriptions for landscaped environments including installation of plants, flowers, trees, shrubs; and construction of structural hardscape elements, grading and drainage.
The candidate will be responsible for creating plans that provide creative solutions to the site’s issues and the clients’ needs.
This position will require the candidate to delegate tasks, ensure proper safety procedures are followed, interact with customers in a courteous manner, and ensure jobs are completed efficiently and accurately.
Assist the Landscape Manager with the following:
- Site assessment- from exposure of neighbouring features to existing surveys.
- Plan and coordinate the growth and use of plants for landscaping, ornamental use and other purposes;
- Create project estimates and maintain budgets;
- Build model concept plans with budgets for client/project team review;
- Compile data and perform design computations;
- Survey and assess sites, prepare drawings, sketches and reports; and perform other duties in designing landscaped environments. Source material and approve substitutions;
- Comply with required Health & Safety regulations and standards, building permits, tree bylaws, etc.
- Oversee landscape crew members and delegate tasks to ensure proper work procedures are followed and schedule deadlines are met
- Work alongside Landscape Designer in regards to scheduling, daily tasks, and future jobs
- Assist with drawing blueprints of job sites using DynaSCAPE and other computer programs
- Follow all health & safety regulations including wearing appropriate protective equipment and following Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for safe handling of fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and other dangerous chemicals
- Report any health and safety issues or other infractions to Landscape Designer
- Converse with customers in regards to their questions, concerns, or complaints in a courteous and helpful manner; inform them of proper maintenance procedures and plant care or refer to designer
- Post-Secondary school education in landscape design, horticultural technician OR related training/experience an asset
- Valid driver's licence and clean abstract
- Knowledge of landscape and construction techniques, practices and terminology
- Expert level skills in DynaSCAPE and other landscape design software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills are required as well as a friendly, customer-oriented disposition
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instruction and interpret plans
- Ability to prioritize and delegate tasks
- Skilled with trade calculations and numeracy
- Ability to perform multiple job tasks to meet various project deadlines
- Ability to take instruction, work in a team and lead a crew
- Fast-paced environment
- Various weather conditions
- Indoor/computer work
Our friendly and inviting atmosphere will make your work experience a unique and welcoming adventure. If you feel you meet our criteria, please apply in person today!
Serious candidates MUST apply in person to fill out an application, unless from out of town, whereas email will suffice.
Please hand resumes in to:
Mark Sipkens, Brian Sipkens or Allison Leach
3261 London Line