We’re Looking for Amazing Talent!
Do you want to work in a rewarding environment, towards an exciting vision? Are you ready to pour your heart and soul into a place built on passion, and grow in knowledge and skill? Do you want to join a positive team culture of excellence?
At Hutten & Co. Land and Shore, we create refreshing spaces in a place that’s already beautiful, a place that we’re happy to call home. It’s not easy work, but the satisfaction is huge. From creative craftsmanship in stone and wood, delicate plantings, casual outdoor living, environmental shore solutions, and docking systems, we create spaces that connect our rugged land and shores into a place of natural beauty. We love what we do and want like minded people to join our team!
The Landscape Lead Hand is responsible for performing a variety of work tasks in order to assist with the completion of landscape construction projects. This position will periodically support the foreman in leadership by the execution of small projects with advanced accuracy, efficiency, and quality.
Detail Overview of Responsibilities:
Leadership and Team Player
• Assist foreman with periodic supervision, delegation, coordination and execution of day to day work activities of a small crew of 2-3 people, at times independently.
• Assist foreman in the management of safety, quality and productivity of work at sites and/or shop/yard
• Periodically complete and submit required paperwork or electronic logs on a daily basis as required, including daily site meetings, planning reports, attendance/time keeping, etc.
• Work safely and in a responsible manner, with eager participation and initiative.
• Demonstrate continuous growth through personal goal achievement.
• Demonstrate active participation in regular team meetings
• Comply with all company policies and regulations and local health and safety regulations
• Wear appropriate personal protective equipment at all times
• Communicate to customer in polite and courteous manner
• Maintain standards of cleanliness and organization in assigned trucks, trailers, equipment, jobsites, and shop/yard areas
Demonstrate advanced skill level in the following:
a) Interpretation of blueprints, structural drawings and specifications.
b) Layout of work areas to required elevations , grades and drainage requirements
c) Mathematics, site calculations and material quantity take-offs
d) Operation of all required tools, including chainsaws, jackhammers, laser levels, measurement equipment, shovels, hammers, drills, etc
e) Operation of heavy equipment, including skidsteer, excavator and loader
f) Operation of crew truck and trailer, at AZ level
g) Completion of all required tasks, including complex and detailed projects of stone, wood, water, plantings, etc.
Perform the following tasks along with crew:
a) Dig ditches or trenches and perform land clearing activities
b) Plant and maintain garden beds and lawns
c) Load and unload materials, tools, and equipment required to complete landscape construction projects
d) Transport materials using shovels, wheelbarrows, carts, dollies, and hand lifting/carrying
e) Perform preventative maintenance on tools and equipment by conducting inspections, lubricating, and cleaning on a daily basis
Key Success Behaviours, Skills, and Requirements:
• Aligned with Hutten & Co. Core Values of Knowledge, Optimism, Relationships, Passion.
• High attention to detail in technical specifications and written communication
• Highly structured in organization and time management, demonstrating initiative
• Highly alert, and demonstrates problem solving skills.
• Driven to improve efficiencies, with ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
• Ability to work both independently with little supervision, and as part of a team.
• Innovative and focused on learning and self-improvement
• Intuitive, critical thinker
• Meet task based goals
• Excellent knowledge of specific materials, methods, tools and equipment and techniques required to complete required tasks in a safe and responsible manner.
• Advanced ability to read and interpret blueprints and specifications
• Demonstrates effective leadership skills
• Technically skilled
• Effective communication skills (both verbal and written in English)
• Time management skills
• Demonstrate advanced math skills
• Desire to interact with clients and team in professional, patient and courteous manner
• Perform work quickly and efficiently, demanding excellence in quality.
• Follow instructions
• Ability to walk, stand, crouch for long periods of time and carry out strenuous physical tasks
• Hold and maintain valid driver’s license
• Carry and use a smart phone or data-enabled device for communication and reporting.
• Desire to embrace and use technology
Minimum Qualifications and Educational Requirements:
1. Minimum of 2 years’ experience in the landscape/construction industry
2. High School Diploma, GED or equivalent
3. Industry Certification an asset