Location Paske, Laos
Start Date Sep – Nov 2017 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
The overall purpose of the placement is to provide support to smallholder farmers in Laos in strengthening their capacity to improve the implementation of new or existing rice varieties and collective economic initiatives to grant farmers access markets. Additionally, we want to improve and diversify farmers’ incomes exploring market potential for improved/diversified production and upgrading of value chains for their rice and crops productions. It is hoped that new potential markets including access to export and inter-provincial trade will be developed as well as the adaptation of low cost sustainable agriculture techniques that are resilient to the impacts of climate change.
The aim of this placement is to further develop the quality of the rice production and marketing channel (written reports and case studies) in order to share learning and best practice generated by partners and volunteers within Cuso International programs. The volunteer will work collaboratively with the Country Office team to meet the goal and strategies, partners, beneficiaries and staff.
The volunteer will work collaboratively with the Agriculture Section, PAFO Champasak and Cuso International Country Office team to meet the goal and strategies, partners, beneficiaries and staff. The volunteer will also be involved in developing and improving the marketing systems for the partner organization.
This placement will support the work of Cuso International Laos in Inclusive and Sustainable Economic Growth (ISEG) and governance, with a particular focus on sustainable livelihoods for all, access to finance, training, and capacity building opportunities. There will also be a focus on how far services are provided for youth, women as well as men in the area, given the importance placed by Cuso International on the inclusion of women and socially excluded groups.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Assist Agriculture Section in conducting the baseline survey in the selected target villages for the proposed project
- Assist Agriculture Section in planning and implementing of the project proposed to MAF
- Provide technical expertise to private sector actors, such as the development of business and marketing plans including the standards to improve the quality of rice and other crops.
- Develop marketing strategy, including the identification of entrepreneurs for product development, promotion, and sales
- Network with other relevant organizations (governmental, NGOs, research institutions, private sector, etc.)
- Mainstream gender and social inclusion in partner organization project and in all placement activities both with farmers and other stakeholders. This should be in relation to marginalized groups (people living with disabilities, indigenous minority groups, and people living with HIV/AIDS).
Essential Academic Qualifications:
BA in marketing, business administration, Agricultural Sciences, Horticultural Production, or a related field is desirable
Essential Professional Background:
- Two or more years of experience developing marketing campaigns/research (planning, implementation, analysis/reporting)
- Experience and proven competencies in community development, farmer facilitation, and application of market research activities
- Knowledge in market supply and value chain development
- Volunteer is required to learn Lao and get the basic survival to better communicate with government colleagues and villagers/farmers at the target communities/sites
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
Apply to placement: https://curaweb.mindscope.com/CUSOIN04387_CURA/aspx/JobDetails.aspx?lang=en&Job_ID=32