Job Number: 1
Posted on Oct 11, 2017
Job Position: Apprentice Arborist: Level 1/2/3
Location: Windsor, Ontario (with flexibility for off-site travel)
- Are you a student that has completed schooling in Arboriculture?
- Do you have minimum of 1-2 years’ forestry experience?
- Are you looking for a company to train and support you in your next step of becoming a certified Arborist?
YES to all of the above? We want to meet you!
Columbia Utility Services (A division of Reliable Care Landscape Management) is a growing urban forestry company located in Windsor, Ontario and Essex County. We offer a wide range of services to commercial, residential, institutional and municipal clients throughout the province of Ontario.
Columbia encourages individual growth and learning, while working in a well-organized, supportive team environment. We value health & safety along with continuous training and skill development of our workforce. We are always on the lookout people with great attitudes that can be part of the team or be our next supervisors and team leaders. It could happen faster than you think!
Don’t live in Windsor? Don’t worry. We offer relocation funds, competitive wages that increase with your skills, along with out of town living expenses when working on off-site jobs.
Other reason why you will want work with us:
- Experienced and knowledgeable management team
- Certified Arborists on staff to provide training
- Year-round employment
- Comprehensive Benefits program
- RRSP Match program
- New equipment and trucks
- Uniform allowances
- Paperless computerized time tracking systems (via i-pads and phones)
- On-going Health and Safety checks and training
- We are a growing company with opportunities for career growth
As an Apprentice Arborist, you will work alongside an experienced Arborist to aid in performing a variety of forestry tasks to learn and master the Arborist trade. You will assist in the timely completion of tree maintenance and tree removal contracts and will be taught to operate safely a variety tools and equipment required to complete tree services.
YOU WILL :
- Learn and perform job duties using safe work practices ensuring proper quality of work
- Load/unload trucks and trailers in the AM and PM including all daily labour, equipment and materials required to complete daily objectives
- Learn and perform tree maintenance and/or tree removal by climbing or by safe forestry bucket operations
- Learn to execute and optimize field labour operations to stay within budget
- In collaboration with crew on site, review scope of work and safety issues with the crew prior to beginning each work assignment and report any safety hazards in the JHA (job hazard analysis form)
- Photograph and provide detail documents before and after of required job sites
- Assist in the training of new groundsman crew members and apprentices
- Conduct tree risks assessments prior to working on trees
- Learn to perform required tree work from ground level, climbing or by safe forestry bucket operations for residential, commercial or utility customers
- Learn and perform pruning, stumping and required clean up
- Learn and perform large tree removal with advance rigging techniques
- Learn and drive various company vehicle including but not limited to; bucket trucks, chipper Cabling and bracing using aerial device
- Learn to identify tree health and perform remediate treatments for optimal tree health, managing pests, diseases, wounds and defects that impact trees and woody plants
- Learn to performs soil treatments by fertilizing, irrigation, mulching and aerating
YOU MUST HAVE:
- A minimum 1-2 years’ experience in a Groundsman position
- Able to use all related forestry hand tools
- Skilled in executing a traffic control plan
- Experienced and knowledgeable of approved company safety procedures
- Capable of operating required equipment and tools in a safe and responsible manner
- Effective communication skills – must be able to carry out verbal instructions, read labels and signs, complete daily reports to office and/or customers
- Ability to walk, stand, crouch for long periods of time and carry out strenuous physical tasks
- Able to work year round outside in various weather conditions
- Valid G and DZ Driver’s License and safe driving record (or working towards DZ liscence)
Your Work Conditions:
- Outdoor field environment
- Remote locations as well as urban city environment
- Daily travel from site to site
- Out of town travel
- Walking/hiking on various surfaces including flat, dry, wet, slippery, uneven, rough, steep terrain, hills and slopes
- Exposure to noise, dust, grease and all types of weather and temperature conditions
- Work on call as required for storm calls, respond and report timely and in good condition to perform work duties
Start Date: Immediate
Rate of pay is negotiable dependent on experience
SEND RESUME TO: Mary@columbiaus.ca
Reliable Care Landscape Management
Oct 16, 2017