Landscape Lead Hand
Job Number: 10005
Posted on Mar 01, 2018
Landscape Lead Hand, seasonal 3-month contract, April to June, with the possibility of extension.
Downtown Toronto and client locations throughout the City
The Backyard Urban Farm Company (BUFCO) is an award winning, family-run, organic vegetable landscaping company that designs, installs, plants and maintains edible gardens for residential and commercial clients throughout Toronto. Our mission is to ignite people’s passion for growing their own food and to help them reconnect with nature.
We are looking for inspired, skilled, committed and self-motivated nature-lovers to join us on our quest to make the world a better place, one beautiful vegetable garden at a time. If our mission excites you, and you are driven to provide excellence in every endeavor, then BUFCO is the home for you.
The primary responsibilities of the Landscape Lead Hand are to supervise and lead the installation crew in the assembly and installation of BUFCO designed cedar raised garden beds, establish in-ground gardens, and other softscaping projects, and to provide expert, knowledgeable, and courteous service to our clients.
- You must have a valid G-class license and clean driving record in order to apply for this position. You will be required to produce an up-to-date driver’s abstract.
- As you will be working with children, those with disabilities, and the elderly, a police check will be required. You must have a clean criminal record with no convictions or pending charges.
- Minimum two years landscaping experience including grading and turf/sod laying and removal. Hardscaping experience a strong asset
- Significant hands-on experience working with a wide variety of hand-held landscaping and gardening tools and implements
- Demonstrated experience with wood working techniques and a wide variety of handheld power tools including circular saws, power planer, jig saw, drills, impact drivers, etc.
- Working knowledge and understanding of organic gardening best practices, including
- Ability to assess sun exposure to the garden
- Ability to assess other basic elements required for a successful garden
- Some knowledge of plant material, particularly edibles, and the basic elements required for a successful garden
- Confident and comfortable driving a variety of vehicles including small trucks; experience pulling trailers is an asset
- Experience installing/establishing and maintaining surface irrigation systems including programmable timers, drip irrigation lines, and soaker hoses
- Familiar with in-ground irrigation systems in order to execute repairs of damaged lines/heads if needed
- First Aid and Health and Safety training is highly beneficial
SKILLS and ASSETS
- Experience with heavy machinery and woodshop tools (table, chop, and band saws, for example) is an asset
- A strong communicator with excellent client services skills
- Passionate about growing food and the good food movement.
- Able to provide clients with professional and insightful advice in a respectful and knowledgeable manner
- Demonstrable experience leading and motivating a team of labourers on a job site in order to maximize efficiency and minimize risk
- Able to supervise and lead your team with clear direction and supportive feedback, while maintain your own self-directed work
- Able to establish and maintain a safe working environment
- Solution oriented thinker, a creative problem solver who can think on their feet.
- Physically fit, able to repeatedly lift and move loads of up to 50 pounds
- Must enjoy working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Tech and smart phone savvy
- Strong aesthetic sensibility that can be applied to the installation of a garden
- Must be reliable and punctual
- Photography skills are an asset
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include references. Attached documents must be in .pdf, .doc, .docx, or .pages formats. We will not look at .zip files.
We appreciate the interest of all those who apply, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The Backyard Urban Farm Company
Apr 09, 2018