Groundsman / Operations Coordinator
Job Number: FF1
Posted on Apr 19, 2018
Fast Forest, a tree-spading company located in Kitchener, Ontario is looking to hire a Groundsman/Operations Coordinator. The successful candidate will spend this spring/summer learning the various positions and becoming acquainted with the staff. Next year the position will be responsible for the organization of the crews, scheduling, site checks, some inside sales, and pitching in on any position when short.
The Fast Forest Operations Coordinator is responsible for three key areas.
- Coordinating Fast Forest tree planting operations.
- Coordinating Gatemen-Milloy Nursery operations.
- Generating tree sales and providing exceptional customer service.
- Supervised by the Fast Forest Manager. Works closely with the Fast Forest Manager to coordinate the overall operation of Fast Forest.
- Supervises Fast Forest Tree Spade Operators, Nursery Laborers, and Assistant Tree Spade Operators.
- Works together with several related companies and departments on various landscape-related tasks and projects.
- Corresponds with clients, potential clients, suppliers, and supporting business.
Coordinating Fast Forest tree planting operations:
- Direct planting crews on various site
- Schedule an efficient use of manpower
- Provide training for all planting crews
- Coordinate use and repair of trucks and equipment
Coordinating Gateman-Milloy Nursery operations:
- Assign and oversee the daily tasks of nursery laborers
- Design and implement an effective pest management program
- Prune trees and manage their health to maximize their marketability
- Coordinate use and repair of equipment
- Maintaining an accurate tree inventory
- Coordination of yearly new plantings
- Coordination of tree sales including tree selection, basketing, maintenance and shipping
Generating tree sales and providing exceptional customer service:
- Promoting Fast Forest through marketing and networking
- Meeting with clients, providing consultations and quotations
- Competition of various administrative tasks such as permit applications, arborist reports, and locate requests
- Spring and fall fertilizing program sales and coordination
- Job follow-up correspondence
- Outsourcing of trees, equipment, and materials as required through various suppliers
- Post-secondary education in horticulture or aboriculture related industries or experience obtained over a number of years is required,
- An ISA Certified Arborist certification is preferred.
- Must have a minimum of four years working experience in the horticulture or aboriculture industry
- A minimum of two years supervisory experience is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of arboriculture, especially tree planting, identification, pruning, safe chainsaw operation and pest management
- Must hold a DZ driver’s license with a clean abstract
- Must be physically fit, capable of lifting in excess of 50 pounds
- Must be willing and able to work outdoor in extreme weather conditions
- Snow plowing may be part of the winter duties
- Must be organized with a solid understanding of Microsoft Office
- Must have strong leadership skills
- Must have strong sales and customer service skills
- Should have solid mechanical understanding and be a competent operator of most landscape equipment including: tree spades, tractors, backhoes, loaders, skid steers, mini-excavators, and a variety of specialized attachments
- Must be safety focused in all activities and have a good working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
May 21, 2018