Grounds & Facilities Maintenance Coordinator
Job Number: 001
Posted on Apr 29, 2018
Grounds & Facilities Maintenance Coordinator
Eldon House is seeking an enthusiastic individual to join our team as a Grounds and Facilities Maintenance Coordinator. This role will be a division between indoor and seasonal outdoor work. The individual we seek must be motivated to champion Eldon House in our community. You will be energetic with an eye for detail, forward thinking and have a genuine ability to engage the community, your co-workers and our stakeholders. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual seeking a unique opportunity in London’s oldest home and heritage museum.
Reporting to the Curator Director, the Grounds and Facilities Maintenance Coordinator works 20 hours a week (Monday through Friday) to ensure Eldon House, its Interpretive Centre, gardens and grounds are maintained in a responsible manner.
Supporting the goals of the Eldon House Board and Gardens Committee, this active hybrid position combines year-round facilities maintenance functions with seasonal grounds, gardens and greenhouse duties. Weekend snow removal to be completed on an as-needed basis.
- Clean and care for Eldon House buildings and facilities, including the Interpretive Centre (IC), museum rooms, public areas, staff offices and kitchen
- Wash or vacuum floors, dust furniture and fixtures within the museum and IC, clean washrooms, collect and dispose of garbage and recycling
- Perform or report needed equipment maintenance repairs, and report unsafe conditions, damage or acts of vandalism observed on the premises
- Prepare and dismantle room set up for programming events scheduled in the IC, including adjustment of the Smart Board
- Maintain secure storage areas and cleaning equipment, materials and supplies in a safe and orderly manner to ensure the safety of staff and the public
Gardens and Grounds Keeping
- Plan and implement a gardens, grounds and greenhouse program in conjunction with the Eldon House Gardens Committee
- Coordinate garden resources, monitor and order an adequate supply of products, materials and supplies and liaise with suppliers
- Plant seeds and seedlings, grow plants ready for annual plant sale/planting, carry out all garden maintenance with the help of a team of volunteers
- Operate a lawn mower, trimmer, snow blower, gardening tools and shovels, as required
- Recommend to the Curator Director any required outside landscaping services
- Serve as staff resource to the Eldon House Gardens Committee
- Perform other related duties, as assigned
- Sound knowledge and experience developing and maintaining gardens, growing plants from seeds/cuttings, greenhouse procedures and maintenance of lawn equipment
- Familiarity with the Workplace Hazardous Material Information Systems (WHMIS)
- Awareness of standard cleaning procedures, labels, chemicals, products, equipment
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, problem-solving and time management skills
- An ability to work with little or no supervision, and manage a team of volunteers
- Capacity to work independently and collaboratively
This position is part of the CUPE bargaining unit. It is a permanent part-time, 20-hour per week position and may involve daytime, evening and weekend work. Remunerations are outlined in the Collective Agreement.
Working and Environmental Conditions:
- The Coordinator is required to spend the majority of time at work standing, walking and bending.
- The Coordinator is required to be able to lift up to 50 lbs
- The Coordinator works with gardening and cleaning products that must be handled according to safety standards.
- The Coordinator may be required to clean up bodily fluids, needles and debris left by the public. As such is required to follow safety protocols as per Public Health, Ministry of Labour and WHMIS requirements.
- Eldon House and its grounds are a 100% smoke free environment.
- Hours of work are generally described as Monday to Friday, 4 hours per day. There are times where weekend and evening hours may be required due to events.
Eldon House is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants, but must advise only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit applications in writing via email by 5:00pm, Wednesday May 9, 2018 to:
Nicoletta Michienzi Museum Coordinator Eldon House
481 Ridout Street North
London, ON N6A 2P8
Eldon House Heritage Site and Gardens
Apr 23, 2018