Greenhouse and Farmers' Market Attendant
Job Number: 1002
Posted on Jan 14, 2019
POSITION:Greenhouse and Farmers’ Market Attendant
Full-time, 10-12 week contract, starting April 2018.
Downtown Toronto and Farmers’ Market locations throughout the City
The Backyard Urban Farm Company (BUFCO) is an award winning, family-run, organic vegetable landscaping company that designs, installs, plants and maintains edible gardens for residential and commercial clients throughout Toronto. Our mission is to ignite people’s passion for growing their own food and to help them reconnect with nature.
We are looking for inspired, skilled, committed and self-motivated nature-lovers to join us on our quest to make the world a better place, one beautiful vegetable garden at a time. If our mission excites you, and you are driven to provide excellence in every endeavor, then BUFCO is the home for you.
Your primary responsibilities as the BUFCO Greenhouse Assistant and Farmers’ Market Attendant is to receive, organize and care for BUFCO seedling inventory in the company greenhouse, prepare seedling trays for gardeners to plant in client gardens and sale at farmer’s markets, and attend and sell BUFCO seedlings, products and services at various farmer’s markets throughout Toronto.
- You must have a valid G-class license and clean driving recordin order to apply for this position. If you are selected to proceed to the interview stage, you will be required to secure and bring with you to the interview an up-to-date driver’s abstract.
- You will be required to complete roughly five hours of Health and Safety training prior to the commencement of your contract
- As you may be working with children, those with disabilities, and the elderly, a police check will be required. You must have a clean criminal record with no convictions or pending charges.
- Experienced driver and comfortable in a variety of vehicles including small vans/trucks
- Significant sales and/or customer service experience is required
- Hands-on gardening and/or greenhouse experience with a focus on vegetables/edibles
- Ability to recognize and identify a wide variety of edible plants, including in seedling stage
- Interest in, and some practical experience with organic gardening methodologies
RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to
- Receive weekly seedling deliveries
- Maintain accurate seedling inventory
- Care and maintenance of seedlings (watering, observation for disease or pests)
- Maintain the greenhouse ensuring it is clean, neat, tidy, and well organized
- Prepare seedling trays for client plantings and for sale at Farmers’ Markets
- Gather and load all elements required to set up the booth at various Farmers’ Markets; drive to, and set up the BUFCO booth at farmers’ markets
- Represent, promote, and sell BUFCO product and services at Farmers’ Markets; manage cash, debit, and credit card payments, cashing out and maintaining a running inventory of items sold.
SKILLS and ASSETS
- Very comfortable and confident interacting with the public
- Able to manage cash, give correct change and balance a float at the end of market days
- Able to maintain a friendly and personable disposition even during stressful situations
- Solution oriented thinker, creative problem solver who can think on their feet.
- An excellent listener and a quick learner
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Passionate about growing food and the good food movement
- Love of the outdoors, rain or shine
- Strong and physically fit, able to repeatedly lift and move loads of up to 50 pounds
- Reliable and punctual
- Tech and smart phone savvy
- First Aid and Health and Safety training is highly beneficial
- Confident behind the wheel of a variety of vehicles, including small trucks
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attached documents must be in .pdf, .doc, .docx, or .pages formats. We will not look at .zip files.
We appreciate the interest of all those who apply, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The Backyard Urban Farm Company
Apr 01, 2019