Job Number: 2
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario
Posted on Jan 21, 2019
TITLE: IPM Technician – Full time
MISSION: Assist with the growing and care of all crops at the assigned facility, producing high quality plants while meeting or exceeding shrink, efficiency, cost, and other targets.
SUMMARY: The IPM Technician (IPMT) reports directly to the Grower at Valleybrook (Ont), or the Head Grower (HG) at BTN Niagara, and is responsible for effectively executing pest management treatments. In general, pest management activities will be scheduled and prescribed by the Section Growers and Grower. The IPMT’s main responsibility is to execute various pest management treatments, and to perform the applications properly and on time.
This is a full-time position with regular hours typically 5 days per week, and additional hours/weekends as crops and circumstances require.
BTN strives for a team environment where every individual is important to the Organization. As IPMT, you are responsible to set a good working example, directly contributing to a positive work environment. It is imperative that a strong working relationship exists with Distribution, Growing, Finishing and Operations.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
The IPMT will:
- Report directly to and receive instruction from the Grower/HG. During slower times of year, you may be assigned to other departments and be required to follow instruction from others.
- Will be responsible for general pest knowledge, executing treatment plans, and maintaining accurate records.
- Will be responsible for regular and timely applications of pesticides, herbicides, sanitizing/cleaning agents, and plant growth regulators as required. The IPMT need to be prepared to act swiftly to protect crops from threats.
- Are responsible for the efficient, safe and productive supervision and performance of any staff assigned to your care.
- Will be required to work inside the greenhouses, outside the greenhouses, or anywhere on the nursery in all weather conditions (rain, sun, hot, cold, snow, wind)
- Must be able to work in physically demanding conditions, such as while wearing protective suits and masks during hot weather.
- May at times be required to work past scheduled hours or at non-scheduled times, depending on crop needs and weather conditions.
- Will be responsible to ensure all treatment equipment is treated respectfully, kept in good working order, and cleaned and stored properly after each use, and notifying Maintenance/Operations of repair needs immediately.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree/Diploma in horticulture an asset
- IPM or pesticide application experience in greenhouse nursery/container production an asset
JOB SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent ability to understand and accurately follow both verbal and written instruction.
- Possess ability to work independently or with a group, efficiently in the absence of the SMG or other managers.
- Excellent ability to analyze and critique processes and pursue continuous improvement and efficiency.
- Possess excellent communication skills.
- Ability to transmit clear instruction, both verbally and written, to employees
- Promote a positive, safe, professional and productive work environment.
- Possess good math skill level. Add, subtract, multiply & divide.
- Ability to work in fluctuating indoor/outdoor temperatures & conditions, including while wearing protective equipment.
- Ability to walk freely, bend, kneel and turn free of restriction.
- Must be able to drive Gators and operate hydraulic spray equipment without restriction
- Must be able to tolerate hot, uncomfortable conditions while wearing Personal Protective Equipment during warm weather
- Must possess or immediately gain a valid Pesticide operator license and keep it valid without lapse.
- $16 an hour
- Employee benefits and RRSP contribution matching
- $75 Safety footwear credit
- Email email@example.com Please include your resume, cover letter, and 2 references
Brookdale Treeland Nurseries
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario
Feb 11, 2019