Job Number: 2019
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Posted on Feb 15, 2019
Under the general supervision of the location supervisor and within established policies, procedures and guidelines to provide the gardening services required by the Horticulture Department in the planting and maintenance of flower beds and formal gardens.
Education: Completion of a recognized diploma in Horticulture or equivalent knowledge and experience. Working knowledge of gardening equipment; Landscape Exterminator license
Experience: One-year practical experience plus one on the job. Practical experience in Ornamental Horticulture; ability to carry out a variety of manual labour duties; interpersonal and communication skills; willingness to work weekends.
- Prepares the gardens for planting through laying out carpet beds & plants, fertilizing, watering, weeding, cultivating, pinching, trimming and edging flower beds
- Plants spring flowering bulbs
- Stakes, ties-up or cuts down, labels, and divides perennials; prunes and earths-up rose bushes; prepares, lays, replaces and fertilizes turf
- Removes and dispenses annuals, sprays pesticides to control pests and diseases through an Integrated Pest Management approach; digs up plants for winter storage
- Provides safe storage and accurate records on pesticides
- Provides periodic supervision students performing basic gardening tasks.
- Plants, trims, prunes and labels trees and shrubs; ties up evergreens; rakes leaves as required.
- Operates power equipment, front-end loaders and trucks as required.
Performs Other Related Duties
- Salts, sands and removes ice and snow from pathways, sidewalks and parking lots
- Removes litter as required
- Cleans and paints equipment such as garbage baskets and barbecues
- Provides relief for the truck driver as required
- Provides friendly customer service to both internal and external guests
- Performs Greenhouse duties when required such as waters, pots, pricks off seedlings
- Works the weekend shift at the Greenhouse on a scheduled basis; provides indoor plant maintenance in the NPC offices and restaurants
- As assigned
Please visit niagaraparks.com/careers to create a profile and submit your resume.
Applications will be accepted until April 1, 2019.
Niagara Parks Commission
Niagara Falls, Ontario
May 01, 2019