Job Number: Caledon Parks 19-01
Posted on Feb 20, 2019
Closing Date: February 26, 2019
Town of Caledon is a dynamic municipality that successfully balances urban, rural and agricultural communities. Our energetic staff are guided by our core values that create an environment for continuous improvement and customer service excellence.
In addition to offering exciting career opportunities, the Town also provides a competitive and comprehensive total rewards package. Come see how you can make a difference.
Reporting directly to the Supervisor, Parks this role is responsible for a variety of skilled forestry and parks operations functions and for coordinating team activities to ensure maximum efficiency, productivity and safety.
- Oversee and carry out street tree and park tree maintenance operations throughout parks, facilities and streetscape environments
- Operate small equipment including light trucks, tractors, mowers, Trackless, tree chipper, chainsaws etc.
- Maintain equipment used for parks/tree maintenance including preventative maintenance.
- Ensure efficient and conscientious and safe work is carried out in all tree maintenance activities and work programs as prepared by the Supervisor
- Implement traffic control plans in accordance with Book 7 when required
- Perform sidewalk plowing duties during winter months
- Perform additional duties and undertake special projects as assigned
- Lead the work of forestry crew staff, students and temporary full-time employees as directed by the Supervisor, Parks
- Maintain responsibility for assigned duties within the departmental and/or corporate Business Continuity Plan
- Participate in all mandatory training requirements
- Be responsible to work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, the Town of Caledon Policies and Procedures, as well as established industry guidelines.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Post-secondary diploma in Forestry or a closely related field
- Certified Arborist with minimum 5 years’ experience in professional forestry with proven tree climbing experience
- Municipal parks experience is an asset
- Experience in operation and light servicing of vehicles (light trucks, chippers, chainsaws) and equipment
- Excellent working knowledge of forestry and the broad range of trees typically found within the Town of Caledon Parks and Streetscape
- Organizational skills with attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent Customer Service
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Satisfactory passing of a vulnerable sector check
- Restricted Class ‘A’ driver’s licence preferred, with no more than 3 demerit points and daily access to a vehicle
- Experience in sidewalk snow plowing an asset for winter operations
- Regularly works outdoors and in adverse weather conditions
- Moderate physical activity. Required to lift up to 50lbs, shovel, bend and kneel for extended periods of time
- Regular travel to various town sites
- Must be able to work after hours and on weekends when necessary to maintain service levels
Pay rate: $28.64/hr
Satisfactory passing of a vulnerable sector check, and proof of qualifications will be required of any successful candidate(s) for this position.
The Town is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive and barrier-free workplace. If your application requires accommodation, please contact Human Resources at (905) 584-2272 Ext. 4738.
How To Apply
To learn more about employment with the Town of Caledon and to apply for this exciting and challenging opportunity, visit: www.caledon.ca/careers
If needed and upon request, this document can be made available in an alternative format.
Town of Caledon
Apr 15, 2019