Job Number: 2019-25-UIE
Posted on Mar 09, 2019
We are in need of Seasonal Gardener/Labourers who will report to a Crew Leader or a Horticulture Supervisor. Your main responsibilitiy is to ensure horticultural aspects across Assiniboine Park are upheld to the highest quality standards of horticulture practices and aesthetics as required in a public garden according to APC’s approved Horticulture Master Plan. Gardener/ Labourers will work in our Horticulture department and may be assigned to work anywhere throughout the Park and Zoo.
What you will do:
- Install and care for a diverse collection of plant material such as perennials, bedding plants, shrubs, bulbs, trees, lawns, etc. by watering, cultivating, staking, pruning/cutting, tilling, edging, and performing similar related activities.
- May assist with arranging floral and plant displays, apply fertilizers, operate gardening equipment.
- Maintain a variety of records, and remove debris and weeds from plant beds and surrounding areas.
- Follow all health and safety legislation, regulations and policies, and will provide extraordinary experiences to our park visitors while completing their regular daily activities.
What you need to have:
- High school diploma.
- Prior experience in horticulture and plant care.
- A valid Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s License.
- Candidates must be physically capable of performing the duties of the position (documentation of physical capacity may be required).
- Basic mechanical skills for operating related equipment and tools.
- Availability to work days and some weekends.
Considered a strong asset:
- Post-secondary education in horticulture or a related field is a valued asset.
What you need to demonstrate to be successful in this role:
- A basic knowledge of the culture of plants.
- Effective communication and customer service skills for maintaining respectful working relationships with fellow employees and relating well with visitors.
Successful candidates may be subject to a Criminal Record Check, and will be required to wear APC issued uniforms and provide their own safety footwear and inclement weather clothing.
How to apply:
Apply by March 20, 2019 on our website at :http://www.assiniboineparkzoo.ca/park-landing/home/join-our-team/careers) by March 20, 2019. Position is located in Winnipeg, MB.
Assiniboine Park Conservancy Inc.
May 06, 2019