Job Number: 2019-1
Posted on Apr 15, 2019
The Riverwood Conservancy (TRC) is a volunteer- and member-based charity in Mississauga that provides programs to the community in nature and environmental education, natural areas stewardship / conservation and gardening.
In this full-time, experience-rich career-path summer position, reporting to the Executive Director and Enabling Garden Coordinator, the Horticulture Assistant (HA) will assist to care for and maintain the many public gardens at Riverwood. The HA schedules, supervises and leads volunteer secondary students to help with all daily garden activities and keep the gardens looking beautiful.
- maintain the Chappell House gardens and assist to maintain the Enabling Garden;
- maintain the greenhouse;
- support volunteer gardeners;
- install annual flower beds and apply best management practices to maintain the gardens, including watering, weeding, mulching, fertilizing, dead-heading;
- assist municipal garden staff to maintain the MacEwan Terrace Garden;
- organize, schedule, track hours, supervise and lead secondary students;
- work with community groups and volunteers of different ages and abilities to garden;
- support the Conservation Program to plant native trees and perennials, as needed; and,
- support public education programs and special events as needed.
Skills and qualifications
- interest and some hands-on experience in gardening, landscaping, design, greenhouse, nursery, garden centre operations
- some hands-on garden experience and ability to identify plants is an asset,
- sense of humour, excellent communication, organization and multi-tasking skills;
- demonstrated leadership skills;
- ability to work safely as a team and independently with minimal supervision;
- ability to lead by example and work with volunteers of diverse backgrounds;
- appreciation of the environment, gardening and out-of-doors work;
- a valid Vulnerable Sector Check is required, or the ability to acquire one;
- basic computer skills; attention to details to track volunteer hours;
- training in emergency first aid and CPR is an asset, or training will be provided;
- A valid class “G” driver’s license is an asset;
- A professional report summarizing your experience with recommendations on ways to improve the gardens and approach to working with secondary school volunteers.
Start date will be determined pending a reply from Service Canada / Canada Summer Jobs 2019. End date is August 31, 2019. The hourly wage is $14.75 per hour; work-week is Tuesday to Saturday. Interested candidates are required to submit a resume and cover letter which fully describes your gardening experience by mail or email (in Word or PDF only) by midnight April 28, 2019 to:
The Riverwood Conservancy
4300 Riverwood Park Lane Mississauga, ON L5C 2S7
TRC thanks everyone for applying but resources allow us to reply only to those candidates who are selected for an interview.
The Riverwood Conservancy
May 07, 2019