Job Number: Horticulturist
Posted on May 21, 2019
Horticulturist (Full time, Permanent, with Benefits)
Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory
Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory is an educational attraction with a focus on butterflies and the plants they interact with. The Horticulturist position is a unique opportunity for fulfilling, stimulating and year-round employment in a lush tropical environment. At Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory we value our positive work culture, we prioritize work-life balance, and we encourage collaboration among our strong team of passionate experts. The Horticulturist will oversee the maintenance and management of the plant collections in the indoor tropical butterfly conservatory as well as the outdoor seasonal gardens and grounds. This position is full-time, permanent and offers health and dental benefits.
Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
- $40,000/yr + Health Benefits (estimated industry value of $5,000, annually)
- Energetic and positive attitude, collaborative team player
- Post-secondary education resulting in a degree, diploma or certificate in horticulture, botany or a related field
- Experience with tropicals, annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs etc.
- Experience operating and maintaining landscape equipment (i.e. power tiller, push mower, string line trimmer, riding mower, etc.)
- Able to perform heavy lifting and long hours of manual labour under summer greenhouse conditions and outdoor summer conditions
- Management/Supervisory experience in a related field an asset
- Interest in insects, invertebrates and their interactions with plants preferred
- Valid driver's license
- Valid Standard First-Aid/CPR and Vulnerable sector and police background check
- Manage the plant collection in the butterfly conservatory with a focus on plant-butterfly interactions including the requirement for a variety of nectar and pollen sources.
- Maintain tropical plant collection, operate automatic irrigation system, manage fertilizer program, plant propagation, water containers, prune, maintain ideal environment, amend soil, aquatic pump
- Control plant pests and diseases using integrated pest management techniques
- Maintain grounds including lawn maintenance (mowing, edging, fertilizing, aerating and reseeding), garden maintenance (fertilizing, rotor tilling, planting, weeding, watering and pest control), some snow removal
- Oversee overall Conservatory aesthetic: keep pathways tidy and clear of hazards
- Maintain inventory records of plant collection. Foster relationships with horticulturists from other institutions in the interest of expanding and enhancing our current collection. Maintain online plant collections catalogue.
- Hire, train and supervise seasonal horticulture staff as well as volunteers
- Participate in and report updates at operations meetings.
- Liaise with suppliers and trades as needed
- Oversee maintenance and cleanliness of horticulture equipment, including mechanical equipment, and working areas
- Assist with conservation projects as required
- Develop and maintain a standard operational procedures manual for the horticultural department
- Administrative duties: attend meetings, provide reports etc., as required
Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory
Jun 01, 2019