POSTING NUMBER: 103353
STARTING SALARY: $30.05 per hr
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Foreperson, Urban Forestry, provide care and maintenance to the City’s urban forest. Inspects, trims and prunes trees; identifies and diagnoses treatment for diseased/damaged trees. Operates equipment/tools; ensures safety in operations.
• Efficiently carry out pruning or removal of trees, ensuring the safety of climber and ground crew. Ascends tree using rope and safety saddle, lifelines or aerial bucket truck as needed. Attaches lines to affected limb or wood, cuts and lowers limb/wood working in conjunction with assigned crew and equipment, i.e. crane, and truck. Chips and cuts fallen trees.
• Tree maintenance in the vicinity of hydro wires and compliance with all procedures and guidelines.
• Operates aerial truck with hydraulic lifting device, inspect the site for access and positioning of the truck
• Operates 5-ton dump truck, brush chipper, and a variety of power tools. Ensures all equipment is safely maintained and operated, checks on a daily basis and performs preventive maintenance and minor repairs.
• Respond to emergency tree concerns at any time – this could include clearing storm damaged trees in inclement weather or poor lighting.
• Respond to public complaints about a tree.
• Inspecting properties to determine ownership of trees with the use of GIS.
• Provide care and maintenance of all City trees.
• Performs tree surgery under the direction of Arborist II (i.e. pruning, bracing, clearing and marking work-site for public safety. Responds to emergencies including on a yearly call-out basis, to perform tree surgery, remove trees, etc.).
• Assists the Exterminator in spraying and feeding operations; mixing, applying chemicals, etc.
• Assists in tree planting operations, operating trucks and equipment to plant, stake and tie trees.
• Responds to complaints and investigates accident reports regarding damage to City trees.
• Directs crew (part-time and seasonal staff) in the pruning of street trees and small surgery, with minimal supervision.
• Responsible for the visual inspection and cleaning of all tools.
• Performs snow removal duties, including sanding.
• Performs additional similar and related duties as assigned.
• High School (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of up to one year in Urban Tree Maintenance or equivalent.
• Safety & Awareness for Line Clearing Certificate from the Infrastructure Health and Safety Association (IHSA).
• Valid non-probationary Ontario class DZ driver’s licence.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
As part of the corporation’s Modernizing Job Evaluation project, this position will undergo an evaluation which may result in a change to the rate of compensation. Any changes affecting this position will be communicated as information becomes available.
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Union
Applications must be received by: July 30, 2019
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103353 by July 30, 2019 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.