Job Number: 1261
Posted on Jul 23, 2019
Located at the head of Lake Ontario and within the municipalities of Burlington and Hamilton, Royal Botanical Gardens (RBG) is the largest botanical garden in Canada and one of the nation’s earliest nature sanctuaries. Comprising some 2700 acres of protected wetlands, botanical collections, parkland and display gardens, and within easy access of millions of nature-starved urban citizens, RBG dedicates its expertise in horticulture, conservation, science and education to connect people, plants and place for the purpose of nurturing and preserving healthy growing life on our planet. RBG directs its efforts, and seeks the support of individuals and organizations, to realize its vision of a world in which everyone is awake to the beauty, diversity and necessity of plants, and from that consciousness more actively works together to protect and preserve plant species and habitats and, by extension, our planet.
- Performs in a safe and efficient manner the horticultural and other tasks required to develop, maintain and preserve Royal Botanical Gardens’ living plant collections, displays, landscapes, greenhouses and nursery production facilities.
- Specific duties may include: planting, pruning, fertilizing, watering, plant displays, pond maintenance, tree and shrub removal, turf maintenance, weeding, landscape construction, plant propagation and pathway construction and maintenance.
- Drives light trucks and operates tools and equipment such as lawn mowers, rototillers, edgers and chain saws as required in the performance of assigned duties.
- Keeps curatorial and plant documentation records, work reports and other records as required in the performance of assigned duties.
- Directs and supports Student Gardeners, temporary staff, volunteers and others as required.
- Performs other job-related duties assigned by the Horticulturist, including snow removal, physical plant maintenance and preventative maintenance on tools and equipment.
- Ensures a clean and safe work environment at all times. Adheres to all safety rules, policies and procedures and wears all required personal protective equipment.
- Post-secondary school diploma in Horticulture or closely related field from a recognized college or university or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A good working knowledge of botanical horticulture and the broad range of plants found in RBG’s glass houses
- Demonstrated ability in proper horticultural practices and in the equipment used to undertake these.
- Two year’s professional experience in horticulture: Working in a greenhouse environment is an asset.
- Valid class “G” Ontario Driver’s License with a clear statement of driving record
- First Aid with CPR C + AED an asset
- A Police Records Check will be required of the successful candidate(s), at their expense.
Please submit applications online at www.rbg.ca/careersOpens a New Window.
RBG is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Upon request, suitable accommodations are available under the Accessibility for Ontarians Act.
We thank all those applicants however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Royal Botanical Gardens
Aug 12, 2019