Greenhouse Display/Gardener Grower
Job Number: 2019-44
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Posted on Sep 24, 2019
Under the general supervision of the Manager, Design, and within NPC established policies, procedures and guidelines. Designs, installs and maintains the Exhibition Conservatory Displays and performs all duties of growing and maintenance of plants. Assists in the execution of all interior spaces relating to horticulture displays and events.
- Completion of a recognized diploma in Horticulture or equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Practical knowledge of greenhouse procedures, methods and strong knowledge of display techniques.
- Working knowledge of gardening equipment.
- Requires a current Greenhouse exterminator license.
- Two (2) years of practical experience plus one on the job.
- Practical experience in Ornamental Horticulture with an emphasis on exhibition plant design and propagation and maintenance of plants
- Ability to carry out a variety of manual labour duties.
- Ability to deal with the public with tact and courtesy.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
- Willingness to work weekends.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plans and changes seasonal floral and plant displays as required; provides daily maintenance of displays.
- Maintains show house displays for viewing by the general public.
- Assists in the conceptual development and installation as required of all interior spaces related to design and events.
- Waters and fertilizes as programmed or as required.
- Develops new cultural practices.
- Responds to problems and adapts practices accordingly.
- Maintains an accurate system of records including daily journal entries, crop performance evaluation etc.
- Instructs, monitors and evaluates performance of School of Horticulture students and seasonal employees on greenhouse/display techniques. Answers questions of the general public.
- Maintains biological control systems in display houses.
- Maintains an Integrated Pest Management system for diseases and insects through identification, spraying, greenhouse sanitation, environmental and biological controls and establishing and maintaining accurate records.
- Assist growers in the selection of propagation methods associated with each crop used for interior and exterior uses; shades greenhouses and checks for insects, diseases and proper temperature.
- Assists with planning and placement of floral arrangements.
- Provides customer service to internal and external customers / staff, assisting with questions concerns etc.
- Complies with all applicable legislation as well as any related policies and procedures.
- Informs Supervisor of equipment, tools and vehicles that are needing repaired / replaced or has maintenance staff investigate.
Niagara Parks offers a pay rate of $25.30 to $28.44 per hour as well as a comprehensive benefit and pension plan.
Applications for this position will be accepted until October 9, 2019.
Visit niagaraparks.com/careers to create a profile and submit your resume.
We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), Niagara Parks will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. To request an alternate format, please contact Niagara Parks at 905.295.4377 x3601 or by email to email@example.com.
Niagara Parks Commission
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Oct 28, 2019