Job Number: 3757
Posted on Dec 27, 2019
Job ID: 3757
Job Category: Parks & Natural Resources
Division & Section: Parks, Forestry, & Recreation Division
Work Location: TBD
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, Temporary Vacancy, TBD
Hourly Rate: $28.88/ Hour
Hours & Shift Information: Monday-Friday per week
Affiliation: L416 Outside
Number of Positions Open: TBD
Posting Period: 18-Dec-2019 to 20-Mar-2020
Location and Shift Information: TBD
- Prepares plants and maintains flower beds, horticultural displays and plants in greenhouses.
- Maintains plant materials in a park area in a neat and orderly manner.
- Participates in the design, preparation, planting and maintenance of horticultural displays, turf grass areas, indoor and natural area plantings and landscapes including all aspects of Plant Health Care inclusive of I.P.M. and pesticide use.
- Prepares various growing media prior to planting; gathering, cleaning and storing propagules; planting and transplanting as required and determining and maintaining correct growing environment.
- Inspects plants, flowers bushes and trees and reports damage, insect infestation or disease.
- Prepares chemicals for spraying and sprays flowers, bushes, etc.
- Performs park maintenance such as litter control, snow & ice removal, washroom cleaning.
- Loads materials, plants, etc. and delivers, as required, to various locations. Operates various types of motor vehicles and mechanized grounds, garden and turf maintenance equipment, etc.
- Responds to horticultural questions from public.
- May be required to perform landscaping functions such as sodding and constructing retaining walls etc.
- May be required to direct other staff.
Your resume must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
1. Diploma or certificate in horticulture or equivalent combination of education and
2. Considerable experience as a practicing gardener
3. Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s
License Class and must qualify for the City’s equipment operating permits and
4. Possession of or the ability to obtain an Ontario Landscape Exterminator's License as
You will also be required to demonstrate:
- A good knowledge of plant materials and the ability to propagate and grow a wide variety of plants for the beautification of park areas.
- Ability to arrange, plant and maintain annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees according to the best horticultural methods and to achieve an attractive appearance.
- Ability to recognize insect pests, diseases and weeds and to treat them in the most effective manner.
- Ability to make the most effective use of fertilizers and an appreciation of the water requirements of plants.
- May be required to obtain Structural Greenhouse/Interior Plant Exterminator License.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties and must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
- Must be available to work shift/weekend/overtime as required.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.
Apply Here: https://jobs.toronto.ca/jobsatcity/job/Toronto-Gardener-2-ON-M9C-2Y2/537889117/
City of Toronto
Apr 22, 2020