Job Number: 07-2020
Posted on Jan 07, 2020
Reporting to the Supervisor of Forestry and Horticulture, this position is responsible to plan, prepare, plant, maintain and, when necessary, renovate, all horticultural displays. These displays include, but are not limited to all annual, perennial, shrub plantings in all outdoor landscaped areas of town managed property and indoor horticultural displays. During the winter months, this position also provides support for winter control within the Town as required.
- Maintenance of in excess of 8.9 ha of annual displays and perennial gardens within the Town. Includes high priority displays at Town facilities, community parks, boulevards and entrances
- Maintenance is performed based on knowledge of criteria, critical to the success of the plant display. This includes litter collection, soil cultivation, identifying and removing invasive plant material, plant health care- appropriate application of mulch, water and fertilizer as well as trouble shooting of potential problems
- Identify, control and/or eradicate undesirable vegetation
- Assist with providing direction to part-time, seasonal and summer staff as required;
- Assist with implementation of spray program using Class 11 pesticides. Assist with training staff to apply the pesticide
- For the purposes of winter control (November 15th – April 15th) placed on Winter Control Standby and required to be available for winter call-out purposes, in accordance with the collective agreement
- Assist with snow clearing operations as required manually or with equipment, to ensure the public’s safety
- Consults regularly with Supervisor to give update on work progress and any special requirements anticipated in relation to horticultural activities
- College diploma in horticulture management or a related program
- Minimum of three (3) years of related experience in horticulture
- Good understanding and knowledge on a wide range of horticultural and grounds maintenance skills including, but not limited to tropical, annual, perennial, shrub and tree species
- Knowledge in plant identification, plant biology, pathology and entomology and diagnosis, understanding of soil principles, landscape design, irrigation, pruning, plant propagation, and interior landscaping
- Organization, time management and planning skills
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Valid ‘DZ’ drivers licence with a clear driver's abstract
- Extensive knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other provincial legislation
- Must be physically able to perform the duties of the job including heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs) and working in inclement weather for extended periods of time
- Ability to provide a criminal reference check that is satisfactory to the Town of Ajax
Deadline to Apply:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 p.m. on January 17, 2020.
To be considered for this opportunity, please go to www.ajax.ca/careers to apply.
Rate of Pay: $32.82 - $35.14 per hour (40 hours per week)
The Town of Ajax is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and accessibility within the workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. The Town embraces diversity and gender expression through policy, staff training and providing positive spaces. The Town encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If selected for an interview, please inform Human Resources staff of any accommodation you may require the process.
Town of Ajax
Jan 07, 2020