Supervisor of Forestry & Horticulture
Job Number: 1060
Posted on Jun 11, 2020
The Corporation of the City Of Brantford
Parks and Recreation Services
Supervisor of Forestry & Horticulture
Job ID# 1060
Reporting to the Manager of Park Services, the Supervisor of Forestry and Horticulture is responsible for
the effective delivery of forestry operations and management of the urban forest as well as implementation of the municipality extensive horticulture program within parks, open spaces and along roadsides throughout the City of Brantford. This position is responsible for the design and maintenance of floral gardens, landscape plantings,
horticulture displays and formal parks in the City as well as greenhouse management, production and indoor plant programs. The Supervisor also oversees and directs both in- house forestry crews and contractors performing tree maintenance tasks, pruning, removals, stumping, planting and emergency response. Developing woodlot management and protection strategies and facilitating improved tree management software and digital inventory systems are also requirements of this job. The Supervisor will also act as a Municipal Weed Inspector, with responsibility for urban forestry health, IPM strategies and high quality performance standards as well as safe, efficient work practices.
This position must be available for on call response to Parks Service inquiries on a rotating schedule as well as for off -hour emergency/storm events as may arise. Hours of work are 35 hours/week; at times work hours may include afternoons and weekends as well as occasional unscheduled hours for overtime. Although shift work is not anticipated it is a possibility in the winter months as a result of potential shared duties with the Public Works Department.
- Three (3) year minimum post-secondary degree in Urban Forestry or Horticulture or combined equivalent post-secondary diplomas in arboriculture, horticulture, environmental science, ecology, or related professional certification
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressive work experience in related field; forestry operations, care and management of the urban forest, landscape maintenance, horticultural design and planting operations , greenhouse management and production
- Minimum of three (3) years of proven leadership experience, supervising a substantial number of staff or leading large work teams, preferably in a positive, unionized, municipal environment
- ISA Certification
- Current Pesticide Applicators License(s): Exterminator Licenses - Land Category Landscape, Land Category Industrial Vegetation, Land Category Forestry and Structural Category Greenhouse License. Candidates missing one or more licenses may be considered but will be required to obtain all licences within 6 months of successful recruitment
- Advanced knowledge of trees, shrubs, perennials, horticultural design and maintenance practices, irrigations systems, landscape operations
- Strong understanding and knowledge of arboricultural best management practices, industry standards and related legislation including IHSA requirements and regulations pertaining to hydro work
- Demonstrated experience performing tree health inspections and risk assessments to promote public safety and tree health
- Extensive knowledge of greenhouse operations including systems management, plant propagation, transplanting and crop production
- Comprehensive understanding of plant health care; Integrated Pest Management and the application of pesticides, invasive plant controls, disease, weed management; IPM Certification is considered an asset
- Proven contract management abilities, including overseeing specification preparation and supervision of work execution
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and safe work practices
- Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer skills, including good working knowledge and application of MS Word, Excel and Outlook; tree management software system(s) and ArcGIS; aptitude to utilize digital technology
- Ability to manage multiple and changing demands and priorities and implement a continuous learning approach
- Possess a valid Class G driver’s license in good standing during the course of employment
WAGE RANGE: $41.30 to $51.63 per hour (based on 35 hour a week) plus benefits
To apply on-line, please visit the City of Brantford website at https://careers.brantford.ca/ and click on Current Opportunities.
Closing date for applications: Thursday, June 25, 2020, at 4:30 p.m.
Information gathered relative to this position will only be used for candidate selection.
We thank each applicant for taking the time and effort to submit your resume, however, only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Our organization is committed to promoting the independence, dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity of persons with disabilities by ensuring the accessibility of our facilities and services. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their required accommodations known in advance.
The Corporation of the City of Brantford
Aug 03, 2020