Location Calabar, Nigeria
Start Date Oct – Nov 2020
Length of Placement 8 Months
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
We need your skills and experience to help local farmers improve their productivity!
In this role you will work closely with the project team in agricultural development planning, while working directly with small-scale farmers to increase the marketing of their goods, to reduce post-harvest loses, and to strengthen the farming operations of various beneficiaries.
Apply to this role and make together the difference!
As a volunteer, you will:
- Conduct various learning workshops across various Agribusiness sectors.
- Perform research of applicable value chains and market access.
- Provide support, coaching, and mentoring to small-scale businesses.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Business Development or any other agriculture and rural development related field.
Essential Professional Background:
- 2-4 years’ experience in Agriculture work and/or small-scale business.
- Managerial skills, particularly in activity management, working with groups and teams of professionals, and liaising with government and non-government organizations
- Strong experience in end market assessment & analysis
- Experience in learning facilitation
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training program and in-country orientation (more details below)
- On the ground support through our Cuso International country program office
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the pre-departure training course, in-country orientation, and reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.