Working Foreperson - Parks Maintenance
Job Number: 51-2020
Posted on Jul 10, 2020
Working Foreperson - Parks Maintenance
Reporting to the Supervisor of Forestry, Horticulture & Sportsfield, the Working Foreperson - Parks Maintenance is responsible to deliver a wide range of technical services relating to the maintenance of municipal parks and horticultural requirements.
Job Duties Include:
- Provides support to Supervisor to establish annual work plans and levels of service relating to the daily maintenance of all Town managed lands, including: litter collection, mowing, weeding, planting, fertilizing, seasonal displays, spraying, watering, etc.
- Assists the Supervisor in the development of annual operating budgets, and take the lead role in initiating the procurement of material, supplies and equipment in accordance with the Town’s purchasing policies
- Ability to plan, schedule, organize and keep accurate records within the Town’s maintenance management software (CityWorks), and ensuring all work activities (labour, equipment and materials) are captured by asset
- Ability to identify chemical treatments, mixes and application rates for herbicides/pesticides as authorized in the Province of Ontario in accordance with the Ontario Pesticides Act
- Ability to operate turf/maintenance equipment such as mowers, tractors, fertilizer sprayers, waste collection vehicles, and etc.
- Ability to develop an annual training plan and ensure full time and part time staff are appropriately trained prior to the operation of any equipment, including any chemical applications applied to turf or shrub beds
- Delivers exceptional customer service and maintain a high level of communication when dealing with members of the public
- Coordinates the routine inspections of Town managed infrastructure and identify capital improvement projects (fencing, pathways, furniture, etc.) to the Manager of Infrastructure & Asset Management
- For the purposes of winter control (November 15th – March 31st) this position will be placed on the Winter Standby and will be required to be available for winter call-out purposes, in accordance with the collective agreement
- Completed College diploma in turf or horticulture management, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience with the demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities
- Minimum of two (2) years of municipal winter control experience operating heavy and medium-size snow cleaning equipment
- Playground practitioner certification
- Valid Class 'DZ' license and clean driver's abstract, along with a valid Landscape Exterminator license from the MOE and Climate Change
- Solid understanding of the CityWorks work order processes
- Ability to complete accurate data entry within the software
- Knowledge of health and safety and other applicable provincial legislations and acts
- Proven skills in Microsoft office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Excellent organization skills with the ability to work in a fast paced environment with changing priorities on a daily basis
- Ability to communicate effectively with others and assign work based on priorities
- Exceptional organization, time management and planning skills
- Excellent leadership skills and ability to work with minimal supervision
Rate of pay:
$35.94 - $38.31 per hour
This is a unionized position that works a 40 hour work week.
Deadline to apply:
Applications are accepted at www.ajax.ca/careers until 11:59 p.m. on July 16, 2020.
We would like to thank all applicants however, please note that only those selected to attend an interview will be contacted and all other applicants will be kept on file. The Town of Ajax is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and accessibility within the workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. The Town embraces diversity and gender expression through policy, staff training and providing positive spaces. The Town encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If selected for an interview, please inform Human Resources staff of any accommodation you may require during the process.
Town of Ajax
Jul 10, 2020