Working Foreperson – Roads Operations and Maintenance
Reporting to the Supervisor of Roads Operations and Maintenance, the Working Foreperson - Roads Operations and Maintenance is accountable for effectively guiding the day to day work assignments to 10 unionized employees and supporting organizing and coordinating contracted services. This position will provide guidance, instruction and advice relating to the daily work plan to the Operators for the maintenance and repair of the applicable roadway infrastructure within municipal right of ways such as, but not limited to, storm sewer components, asphalt pavement markings, asphalt repair, sign repair, walkway and park fencing and other related Infrastructure.
In addition to the duties above, this position significantly supports the delivery of the Town’s winter control services program.
Job Duties Include:
• In collaboration with the Supervisor this position will ensure the requirements of the Minimum Maintenance Standards (MMS) and the service level objectives are met
• Ensure compliance with Book 7, Highway Traffic Act and Occupational Health & Safety Act
• Perform field Investigation of claims against the Town by taking photos and measurements to submit to Supervisor
• Support department training initiatives and demonstrate the ability to develop a training plan including the delivery of training materials to staff
• Operate equipment in order to support delivery of assigned tasks and seasonal work plans
• Respond to internal and external customer requests
• Assist the Supervisor in the development of annual operating budgets, and take the lead role in initiating the procurement of material, supplies and equipment in accordance with the Town’s purchasing policies
• Ability to plan, schedule, organize and keep accurate records within the Town’s maintenance management software (CityWorks), and ensuring all work activities (labour, equipment and materials) are captured by asset
• Support and provide advice and guidance to peers regarding new technology and new industry best practices within the work place
• Secondary School Graduate - Grade 12 Diploma
• Minimum 5 years progressive experience with roadway construction or municipal roadway maintenance or a combination of;
• Minimum 7 years of progressive experience in municipal winter control operating heavy and medium size snow clearing equipment including 3 years of experience in a leadership role
• Successful completion of the T.J Mahoney Road School Certificates from the Ontario Good Roads or a deemed equivalent
• Experience in operating heavy and medium duty roadway maintenance and construction equipment
• Thorough understanding of various building construction materials, practices and techniques
• Demonstrate understanding of and application of Minimum Maintenance Standards (MMS)
• Solid understanding of the CityWorks work order processes
• Valid Class "D" Driver’s license with an airbrake endorsement (Z)
• Knowledge of Health and Safety and other applicable Provincial Legislation and Acts
• Demonstrate excellent leadership and managerial abilities
• Ability to multitask and deal with unplanned events seamlessly and professionally
• Proven skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
• Excellent customer service skills
• Excellent organizational and planning skills with the ability to work in a fast paced environment with changing priorities on a daily basis
• Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
• Ability to communicate effectively
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Provide after-hours support (On-Call/Stand-by) as required with an emphasis on the winter months
Rate of pay:
$35.94 - $38.31 per hour
This is a unionized position that works a 40 hour work week.
Deadline to apply:
Applications are accepted at www.ajax.ca/careers until 11:59 p.m. on July 17, 2020.
We would like to thank all applicants however, please note that only those selected to attend an interview will be contacted and all other applicants will be kept on file. The Town of Ajax is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and accessibility within the workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. The Town embraces diversity and gender expression through policy, staff training and providing positive spaces. The Town encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If selected for an interview, please inform Human Resources staff of any accommodation you may require during the process.