General Manager & Head Grower -Tree Time Greenhouses
As the General Manager & Head Grower of Tree Time Greenhouses you will be responsible for all aspects of the operation of 66,000 sq. feet of greenhouses located south of Beaumont, Alberta. This includes the sowing, growing, harvesting, and packaging of seedlings to support our Treetime.ca division’s online seedling needs.
• To manage and work hands on in all aspects of the operation of Tree Time Greenhouses
• To sow, grow, harvest, and package high quality plants to support the production needs of TreeTime.ca
• To enter, track, and report on crop status
• To assist in making infrastructure upgrades and ensuring nursery is maintained to the level necessary to consist-
ently produce good quality crops
• Develop an annual nursery budget and oversee nursery expenses to ensure costs are reasonable
• Provide leadership, coaching, and direction to an assistant grower and seasonal staff
• Ensure appropriate health and safety standards are in place and maintained
• Live and promote the Tree Time Safety Culture
• Ability to work independently
• Good organizational skills
• Green thumb with ability to grow a multitude of plants and understand the unique biology and phenology of
• Understanding of seed biology including dormancy and techniques to adequately stratify seed
• Understanding of common plant insect and disease problems
• Mechanically handy
• Ability to organize crews to harvest and ship seedling requests in a narrow window
• Computer competency, including office productivity
• Safe vehicle operation, including trucks, tractors, skid steers, and ATVs
• Strong work ethic
• Details oriented
• Good communicator
• Able to prioritize and achieve multiple objectives
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS THAT WOULD BE BENEFICAL
• 4+ years experience growing a variety of nursery produced plants preferably trees and shrubs
• 4+ years involved in nursery operations, equipment, and control systems
• 4+ year experience managing people
• Horticulture, Forestry, or Biological diploma or degree
• Class 5 Driver’s License
• Experience operating farm machinery
• Valid First Aid Ticket
Salary will be competitive and based on experience. Additional compensation may include accommodation to live in a 1675 sq. ft house with recent upgrades and a fully finished basement that is located at the greenhouse site.
Tree Time Services Inc is a consulting company dedicated to improving our forests through reclamation, silvicul- ture, and archaeology services. We are professional foresters, planters, biologists and archeologists passionate about helping our clients be stewards of our forests and natural heritage. We also operate an online seedling sale division named TreeTime.ca that specializes in selling prairie hardy tree and shrub seedlings. We produce a large variety of native and landscape seedlings that are packaged and shipped out of our cold storage warehouse every spring.
Tree Time has been in business since 2003. We specialize in selling 1 to 3-year-old plug and bare root seedlings that can be quickly and easily transported and planted. We offer highly competitive prices and have over 100 spe- cies available. Most of our stock has been grown from seed that has been collected from local plants.
At Tree Time our corporate purpose is to steward and shape the landscape for our collective future.
COMPANY CORE VALUES
• We take care of each other.
• We get it done and do it right.
• We have passion for our work and landscape.
• We are adaptable and flexible.
• We are down to earth.
Tree Time Services Inc. is looking for a person who would suit this position and also align with our company’s core values. If you are interested in joining our team, please submit your cover letter and resume to Scott Formaniuk at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 19th, 2020.