Job Number: 2020-39
Owen Sound, Ontario
Posted on Dec 11, 2020
Under the general direction of the Parks and Cemetery Supervisor, this position is responsible for; designing, planning, planting and maintaining horticultural displays throughout the City, submitting and assisting with selection of bedding plants, perennials and shrubs, assists Arborist in the planting and maintenance of trees, shrubs and plant materials on Municipal properties and to perform various parks operations including grounds maintenance, basic carpentry, captive bird husbandry, turf maintenance, cemetery assignments, customer service and other duties as assigned.
Education & Training- Required:
- College Diploma in Horticulture/ Arboriculture or Equivalent experience commensurate with the duties and responsibilities described.
- Current certificate of qualification in Horticulture and/or Arboriculture
- Certification from the International Society of Arboriculture as a Certified Arborist, or the ability to obtain ISA certification within 1 year of employment.
- Ontario Pesticides Exterminators license for Landscape and Industrial Vegetation
- Valid Ministry of Labour Working at Heights Certification
- Aerial Lift/ Elevating Platform Certification
Education and Training - Assets
- Powerline/Utility Arborist Certification is an asset
- Ontario Traffic Manual Book 7 certification is an asset
- Ontario Pesticides Applicator’s license – Herbicide Certification
- Minimum 2 years horticultural and/or arboricultural experience including pruning, removal, rigging, planting, designing plant beds and fertilizing. Experience in a municipal environment is an asset.
Additional Qualifications Required:
- Valid Ontario License with “D” and “Z” endorsement.
- Ability to instruct staff engaged in pruning, removal and planting of trees.
- Knowledge and experience in the use, care and safe operation of chain saws, motorized pole saws, brush chippers, aerial devices, and associated vehicles, hand tools and equipment, including front-end loaders, tractors, trucks, mowers etc.
- Strong knowledgeable of applicable legislation and industry standards including but not limited to the Occupational Health & Safety Act (and associated regulations), the Highway Traffic Act, and Arborist safe work practices.
- Basic computer skills. Ability to open, read and comprehend electronic messaging i.e. Outlook. Ability to track work codes using computerized software.
- Ability to plan, prepare and maintain planting beds in public areas at various municipal parks and facilities
- Effective communication skills and attention to detail are considered essential to the success of the incumbent.
Please submit your resume and cover letter for this position, indicating Job # 2020- 39 by January 3, 2021 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
City of Owen Sound
Owen Sound, Ontario
Jan 08, 2021