Job Number: 2352
Posted on Feb 11, 2021
Applications are now being received for the above regular full-time position in the Operations Department To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume on-line by February 28, 2021. To find this opportunity, please select Current Opportunities
Reporting to the Supervisor-Parks Horticulture, you will be responsible for design and maintenance of horticultural displays and flower beds using principles of creative design; Layout & planting of various floral displays including streetscapes: Pruning of shrubs and trees, tree- planting; assisting the parks maintenance program including but not limited to debris and garbage pick-up, grass cutting, Winter Control operations including snow plowing/removal, sanding/salting, hand shoveling, answering questions from City customers and residents; set up of special events, providing supervision and guidance to temporary staff as required.Performs duties safely abiding by all applicable legislation and Health and Safety policies and procedures. Other duties as assigned.
- Diploma in Horticulture or an industry related community college diploma
- Minimum of three (3) years of related experience
- Strong working knowledge of horticultural practices & landscape design. Candidates will be tested on knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment and make sound decisions by applying guidelines and procedures that require some interpretation in dealing with exceptions. Seeks guidance when the situation is unclear
- Team player with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others to achieve department objectives
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service by responding to customers’ needs in a timely, professional, helpful, and courteous manner regardless of customer attitude.
- Demonstrated skill in the operation and maintenance of various parks maintenance equipment such as cord trimmer, mower, rototiller, tractor, loader, truck and plow, truck and trailer
- Pesticide licence: Landscape Exterminator preferred. If the successful candidate does not have a pesticide license, they must obtain the license within six months.
- Good customer service, public relations, work planning and conflict management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited supervision to efficiently meet goals
- Ontario Class DZ Driver's Licence. A satisfactory driver's abstract is required as a condition of employment (No demerit points plus no more than 2 infractions – maximum of one moving and one non-moving violation).
- Must be physically able to perform the duties of the job including heavy lifting and working in inclement weather for extended periods of time
- Must be willing and available to work weekends and shift work when required for winter standby coverage, etc.
- Extensive knowledge of interior plant maintenance
- Demonstrated leadership and teamwork skills
- Respectful of diversity of community
- Strong working knowledge of pertinent legislation including OHSA & Traffic Control regulations
- Service Excellence: Meets or exceeds service standards when interacting with customers in the community and in the organization.
- Change & Innovation: Responds positively and professionally to change and helps others through change.
- Teamwork & Relationship Building: Interacts with others in an inclusive, collaborative and respectful way that creates effective working relationships.
- Communication: Communicates in a clear, professional and respectful way; demonstrates active listening.
- Accountable & Results Oriented: Demonstrates ethical behaviour and accountability, aligns with City values, and abides by relevant policies and legislation.
- Management & Leadership: Demonstrates self-management, professionalism and engagement; leads by example.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all those applicants who have applied however only those applications selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to inclusive employment practices.
City of Markham
Mar 29, 2021