Parks Operator - Horticulture
Job Number: 1068
Posted on Mar 09, 2021
The Corporation of the Town of Orangeville invites internal applicants for the position of
Parks Operator - Horticulture
Community Services Department
(One-year contract position, 40 hours per week)
The Parks Operator - Horticulture is responsible to maintain horticultural and landscape elements and perform a variety of duties to operate and maintain parks, open spaces, trails, sports fields, outdoor rinks, splash pads, and other facilities. Duties of the position include:
- Designing and maintaining areas that include preparation and planting of annuals, trees, perennials, shrubs, and not limited to watering, pruning, fertilizing, cultivating, mulching and edging.
- Conducting operation, maintenance and inspections of various parks and associated amenities and facilities, including but not limited to: general repairs, painting, winter snow and ice control, building/maintenance of outdoor rinks, playgrounds, cleaning, collecting refuse, litter picking, snow removal and maintenance of Parks yard and equipment.
- Performing operation and maintenance of sports fields and turf maintenance to include layouts of fields and multi-purpose sports pads, grooming, shut down and start-up of irrigation systems, cutting/trimming, top dressing, over seeding, fertilizing, aerating, sodding, watering, etc.
- Operating a variety of equipment to conduct parks operation, sports fields, and turf maintenance. Perform daily maintenance on equipment/vehicles as required.
- Directing and guiding a crew of staff to complete job specific tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College diploma in Horticulture, or related discipline
- One (1) to two (2) years of experience working in a municipal parks environment, including horticultural and leadership experience providing direction and guidance to casual/seasonal staff
- Mechanical skills; including the ability to operate various parks equipment, the ability to perform basic maintenance on all parks equipment, and facilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills when dealing with staff and the public
- Strong problem-solving, organization, verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with computers, mobile devices and associated software such as Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PerfectMind
- Landscape pesticide license
- Valid “DZ” license
- Standard First Aid/CPR/AED
- Certified Pool Operator qualification would be considered an asset
Hourly Range: $29.77 to $34.84 per hour, Band 7 on the Town’s 2021 Pay Grid, plus a contact benefits package
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes, in confidence, to Sarah Alexander, Human Resources Assistant, no later than 4 p.m. on Wednesday, March 24, 2021. Applications may be submitted online, or in person to the Town Hall located at 87 Broadway. If submitting a resume via email, please quote the job title in the subject line.
The Town of Orangeville is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. By submitting your personal information to the Town of Orangeville, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of that information in connection with our recruitment, hiring and/or employment processes. Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c.25, as amended, and will be used to determine the qualifications for employment with the Town of Orangeville. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Manager, Human Resources at 87 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 1K1.
Town of Orangeville
Mar 24, 2021