Job Number: 1
Posted on Apr 14, 2021
Job Title: Seasonal Gardener
Work Location: private property
Job Type/Status: Full-time, Seasonal
Hourly Rate: $25.00
Hours & Shift Information: 40 hours per week
Duration: April 2021 – Nov 2021; possibility of extension
Reports to: Head Gardener
This is a full-time contract position on a 400+ acre farm estate based in Caledon, Ontario. The roles and responsibilities of the Seasonal Gardener vary by season as outlined below but the list is not exhaustive.
- Maintain perennial flower beds, vegetable garden, container plantings, greenhouse, and pond garden as directed by the Head Gardener
- May be required to assist with maintenance of turf grass areas
- Responsible for knowledge of all aspects of Plant Health Care inclusive of I.P.M. and ecological best gardening practices
- Prepares various growing media prior to planting; gathering, cleaning and storing propagules; planting and transplanting as required and determining and maintaining correct growing environment.
- Knowledge of insect infestation or disease; report as noted.
- Performs maintenance such as litter control.
- May be required to assist with snow & ice removal, washroom cleaning.
- Operates various types of motor vehicles and mechanized grounds, garden and turf maintenance equipment, etc.
- May be required to perform various landscaping functions such as sodding and constructing/maintaining retaining walls etc.
- Tool maintenance
- Assist with removal of invasive weeds; general weeding
- Other tasks as required
- Diploma or certificate in horticulture or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience as a practicing gardener
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License
- Possession of or the ability to obtain an Ontario Landscape Exterminator's License an asset
You will also be required to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of a wide variety of plant materials including perennials, annuals, vegetables
- Knowledge of native plants
- Ability to recognize insect pests, diseases and weeds and to treat them in the most ecologically effective manner.
- Knowledge of beneficial insects
- Knowledge of invasive weed species
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties
- Work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to deal courteously with colleagues
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule.
- Maintain log of hours worked.
If you are interested in the role, please send your resume directly to email@example.com. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apr 19, 2021