Job Number: Arborist
Posted on Apr 22, 2021
The Canadian Film Centre (CFC) is a charitable organization whose mission is to invest in and inspire the next generation of world-class Canadian content creators and entrepreneurs in the screen-based entertainment industry. CFC delivers a range of multidisciplinary programs and initiatives in film, television, music, screen acting, and digital media.
Located at Windfields Estate, the former home of celebrated Canadian philanthropist and entrepreneur, Edward Plunket (E. P.) Taylor, the designated heritage property features eight buildings, two woodlots, numerous hedgerows and gardens, and more than 200 specimen trees.
Responsible for employing best practices in care of the specimen trees, orchards, woodlots, hedges and shrubs. This position offers a diverse range of hands-on responsibilities.
- Recommending best practices for arboreal care;
- Watering and fertilizing the specimen trees, orchard trees, hedges and shrubs;
- Maintaining the tree mulch including applying and augmenting mulch;
- Weeding the tree saucers and the hedges;
- Pruning deadwood from the specimen and orchard trees, and pruning the boxwood; yew; and White Cedar hedges;
- Combating pests;
- Implementing the CFC’s Woodlot Management Plan, including; endangered species protection, hazard tree monitoring, understory clean-up, native species introduction and invasive species management;
- Hazard tree management including application to the City of Toronto for tree removal permit(s);
- Managing the fruit harvest;
- Maintaining the arborist tools and equipment;
- Updating the CFC’s Landscape and Garden Report, documenting the specimen trees, orchards, hedges and shrubs (photos, text and drawings);
- Assisting the Horticulturalist during major projects (lawn and garden rehabilitation, etc.) and watering during the absence of the Horticulturalist; and
- Assisting the Operations and Events staff with special grounds keeping and event set-ups.
- Enrolled in or recently completed an arborist, forest management or environmental management post-secondary program;
- Enthusiasm for maintaining Ontario’s heritage;
- Chainsaw licence an asset; and
- Poison licence an asset.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by May 7, 2021 and indicate “Arborist” in the subject line.
The CFC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Canadian Film Centre
May 17, 2021